1. The Act No. 7 of 1997 of the Tamil Nadu legislative Assembly, published on 14th February 1997 prohibits ragging in educational institution in the state of Tamil Nadu.
2. The Act expresses “Ragging means display of noisy, disorderly conduct, doing any act, which causes or is likely to cause physical or psychological harm, raise apprehension, fear, shame, or embarrassment to a new student, in any educational institution.
3. Ragging is strictly prohibited in and out of the educational institution. Whoever directly or indirectly involves, participates in, abets or propagates “Ragging” shall be punished with imprisonment for a term which may extend up to 2 years and shall be liable to pay fine which may extend up to Rs.10,000/-
4. Any student committing such an offence shall also be dismissed from the educational institution and such a student cannot be admitted in any other educational institutions.
5. Whenever complaints of ragging are received an immediate inquiry will be made